Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Sweet 'un' Spicy Southern Greens 'n' Beans


Growing up in Texas, my palette was groomed for spice then coated in sugar. Pepperbellies and Sweettooth Faeries run rampant along the Great Southern Plains.  You can trap them by leaving a plate of nachos or sopapillas out at night ;-)  



Class last night was hard since it's my time of the month. Laying on my belly on some of the floor positions can be extremely uncomfortable and sometimes even painful.  So, when I came home last night and asked Dave, "Where is the bacon?," he had a look of confusion on his face.  The look of confusion was actually him thinking of a way to keep me from freaking when he told me we didn't have any bacon.   WHA?  NO BACON???!!!! ARGGGGHHH!!!! I was hoping we had at least 1-2 strips for a big batch of my favorite comfort food during my periods: Sweet 'un' Spicy Southern Greens 'n' Beans!! 


Since we didn't have any bacon strips last night, luckily we had some delicious Finocchiona from Salumi I had picked up this week.  It was a nice substitute, but I prefer the crunch of the bacon.  

Finocchiona: flavored with cracked fennel, black pepper, and a touch of curry


See, the way I work it out, the greens provide some iron I am missing, the nuts have protein, the bacon provides a nice base flavor and oil for cooking and the maple syrup is the sweets!  This recipe isn't as heavy as it sounds, and it is a fast recipe that works for me after class. It's my special recipe that I love to make on cold, rainy nights.


This was recipe was heavily inspired by one of my favorite foodies: Kath.

Ingredients:
2 strips of bacon (or Veggies can skip the meat)
1 bag of mixed Southern greens from Trader Joes  (or 1 big bundle of chopped chard, kale, or collards)
1 cup of chicken or veggie broth
1 can of Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
4 T. maple syrup
1 handful of pecans
a few squirts Sriracha



The Method:
Cut the bacon into 1" pieces and fry in a deep pot until browned. Add the greens (you may have to add a little at a time as it cooks down) to the pot of bacon.  















Pour the cup of broth over the greens to help them cook down.  Stir.  














When the greens are cooked down, add the drained beans, maple syrup, Sriracha and pecans.  Stir.  Let simmer for 5 minutes.  Serve with a few more pecans on top.  This makes 4 servings so, you'll have enough for lunch or dinner tomorrow.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment