Monday, November 30, 2009

Roasted Vegetables


When I am sick of eating cold salads, but want to still eat my veggies, roasting them is the best alternative.  Both of my Chinese acupuncturists I've gone to have really pushed the issue of warmer foods being kinder to your stomach. I know that the raw food diet is very popular for yogis of all types because the vegetables maintain their nutrients, but I would go crazy eating rabbit food every day.  Though, I believe in moderation with raw and cooked foods, I definitely prefer warm to raw and cold.  Eating veggies is so much more fun when they are roasted and seasoned!  


This is a quick, easy recipe that you can make for lunches or dinner.  I like to make a batch of veggies the night before work.  Then add to brown rice or wheat tortillas for a warm, healthy and tasty lunch.


Ingredients:
Any vegetable you want!  I prefer: Bell peppers, zucchini, sweet potatoes, onions, and carrots.  


The Method: 
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Slice vegetables and place on a greased cookie sheet or roasting pan.  Sprinkle/spray with cooking oil.  Season with your favorite spice.  I like Spike, cinnamon, curry powder and cayenne.  Roast for 20 minutes.  Flip veggies over, roast for another 10-15 minutes until browned or scorched.  I love seeing a little blackened edge for a smokey flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment