Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Vegan Curry



I realized that I've been posting a lot of carnivore recipes.  Though I tend to frugally use meat as an accent or side dish rather than the main dish of most of my recipes, I think that a vegetarian dish can be just as tasty.  The V-Word can freak a lot of people out.  How can no meat AND no dairy possibly satiate my appetite?  Well, this my dears, will do that and more.  I've been making this curry at least once a month for many years.  It was one of the first recipes that got me interested in the chemistry of food, and it's a flexible recipe that you can keep new and exciting each time you make it.  You can mix and match veggies, types of rice, seasoning amount and it always, always turns out delicious!  Again, the star of the show is COCONUT.  The sweet thing about this recipe is not only the coconut but that it is extremely fast to make. When I came home from yoga the other night, I whipped this together in no time.  This Hot Yoga Food ("HYF") creation definitely fulfills the wellness factor with ingredients like cinnamon (good for the blood), vegetables and warmth of the dish. 





This time I used my spicy curry powder.















I suggest you cook whatever rice you want first so it will be waiting to be drenched in the curry when you finish the recipe.  I usually throw a stick of cinnamon in the rice water as it boils.


HYF's Vegan Curry Ingredients
2 T. Olive oil
2 Carrots, peeled & diced
1 Onion, diced
1 Green bell pepper, diced
1 Red bell pepper, diced
1 Head of Cauliflower, chopped into flowerets
1 T. Garlic
1 T. Curry powder
1 T. Cinnamon powder
1 t. Turmeric
1/2 t. Ground Cloves
1/2 t. Cayenne
1 can Coconut milk

Optional Garnish:
Greek yogurt
Sesame seeds



The Method
In a large saute pan (at least a 3 inches high), cook the onions in olive oil on medium heat until they are soft.  Then, add the carrots, bell pepper and cauliflower.  Cook until veggies are soft.  Next, add garlic and all the spices.  Stir the spices in until all the veggies are coated.  Your kitchen should start smelling really good about now.  Lastly, pour the coconut milk over the vegetables and stir.  Cover and simmer on low heat until the vegetables are soft.  You can add water to keep the mixture nice and saucy.  Serve by pouring a serving of curry over a few scoops of rice. Garnish with Greek or plain yogurt and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.  Viola!

No comments:

Post a Comment