Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Snack Attack!

It happens to all of us.  2pm, 3pm, 4pm rolls around at work.  Your blood sugar drops.  You get snackish.  You try really hard to ignore it, but the thought of not eating a morsel until 8pm after hot yoga class makes your stomach quiver.  My acupuncturist says I should make myself a cup of green tea to trick my stomach.  This sometimes works, but sometimes it doesn't it.  I've played it safe for the most part with my snacking.  I usually only want a snack in the afternoon since I eat lunch at 12:30pm every day.  I will say that string cheese doesn't work well for me on yoga days.  I used to have a string cheese and V8 as an afternoon snack but the cheese (see post) just doesn't do my body any favors in class later that day.  This is a great South Beachy snack on off-days, for sure, though!  I began a conversation with my body at this point.  I asked, "what do you want" and it said, "to digest."  It wants and needs protein and potassium before I go to class.  Here is my list thusfar of tasty, flavorful snacks that really help me out on afternoons when I have this conversation with my body.  They've never given me grief in class, don't taste like cardboard or like diet food and even help my endurance! 


1.) Bananas  - sometimes I cut them in half vertically and smear the inside with almond butter to make a banana boat sandwich!  Great snack a few hours before class.




2.) Synergy - a raw Kombucha power drink found in most health food stores.  It's fizzy, kind of strong at first, but you feel like a million bucks after one of these.  These are a good re-charger for after class.




3.) Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds - so delicious!  They come in a handy bottle with a cap that holds the perfect portion size.  Otherwise, I'd keep eating these addictive little morsels!  Another great snack a few hours before class.



4.) Oatmeal Raisin Walnut Cliff Bars or Carrot Cake Cliff Bars - been eating these babies since college.  They never fail me.  These 2 flavors are the best in my book.  I usually nibble on half of one of these if I feel snackish in the afternoons.  They are loaded with vitamins and minerals and are very dense, so half usually does it for me.  Another before class snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment