Saturday, February 13, 2010

Coconut Curry Tempeh Micro Salad


Let's continue the topic of COCONUT CURRY, which apparently I am addicted to.  
SUBJECT: TEXTURE
I get so darn sick of eating salad when I want something light, healthy and easy.  Salad every day, blah blah blah.  Unfortunately, when I don't have the time or imagination do make anything different, I have to learn to trick myself into eating one.  Also, when I lived in Chicago, I worked near a Pockets - where I became addicted to their chopped salads.  Seriously, the texture alone could fool anyone into eating salad every day.  It's all about TEXTURE!  All you need to make this is a food processor and your favorite veggies!  What really made this recipe work was topping the cold, fresh, chopped veggies with warm crunchy coconut curry tempeh strips.  CRUNCH EXPLOSION IN MY MOUTH!




My Ingredients
A few handfuls of spinach and romaine
1 peeled carrot
1/2 cucumber
1/3 red onion
A handful of cherry tomatoes
A handful of mushrooms
1 green pepper, sliced and de-seeded

Toppings:
Tempeh Strips
Crumbled Feta cheese
Your favorite dressing (I used honey mustard)


The Method
Throw all veggies into a food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped but not too much or they'll liquidate!  


Next, saute the tempeh strips on medium heat and olive oil until each side turns crispy brown.  You can find tempeh or tempeh strips at health food stores like Whole Foods or PCC.  Finally, top the veggie mix with tempeh, the cheese and your favorite dressing. Viola! Texture does the trick!

No comments:

Post a Comment